R.A.T. Your Rodent Around-the-World Traveler (a.k.a. Raz)

Hi, My name is R.A.T., which stands for Rodent Around-the-World Traveler (I like to think it stands for Rodent Adventure Traveler), but everyone here calls me Raz for short. I would love to share my adventures with you. I left my rat family in early January to seek adventure. Everyone said "head west young rat," so that is what I did. I headed west to San Diego, California where I ran out of land and had to hop on a ship to continue my journey. It turns out that the ship I found was going west around the world--a dream come true! The MV Explorer is home to the famous Semester at Sea study abroad program. My shipmates include 629 college students and about 150 faculty, staff, lifelong learners, and family members. Things are really busy here on the ship and even busier when we are in port. Come follow me vicariously as I take this incredible journey. Yours, R.A.T.

P.S. I had such a great time on the voyage that the adventure continues!!!!



Friday, August 14, 2015

Chicago - More FLW, etc.!

I walked around Oak Park and saw more of the work of Frank Lloyd Wright. This bust of him is kind of creepy!
Here is Wright's Frank Thomas House. I like the arched entrance and the art glass windows.
The Heurtley House down the street also has a big arch entrance.
Here is the Beachy House. I would call it Griffinesque. It burned in a dramatic fire back in the early 1990s, but was restored.
This is the Nathan Moore House. Wright claimed that he designed it with its historic Tudor character to make the client (but not the architect) happy because he needed money as his kids needed new shoes!
Here is the Mrs. Thomas Gale House with its cantilevered porch--pre-Fallingwater!
I then went to the south side of Chicago to visit Hyde Park and Wright's famous Robie House. It reminds me of a huge ship!
The house has beautiful art glass windows!
Down the street is Wright's earlier Heller House with its dancing girl freeze!
Nearby is a religious building by Barry Byrne who had worked in Wright's office.
I like its zig-zag entrance!

Hyde Park was President Obama’s Chicago neighborhood. Notice all of the bumper stickers on this car.
Nearby was the Powhatan, a neat Art Deco building. I like the color mosaics on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment